Well, I missed another day, but I have an excuse this time. Last night, I ran a half-marathon. That’s 13.1 miles.
My feet hurt.
I ran the Disney Wine and Dine half marathon. It’s a pretty fun race. You get to run around three Disney parks, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and EPCOT. Then you get to check out the Food and Wine Festival which has delicious dishes and wine tastings from around the world. It started at 10pm last night, and I started at 10:20, and finished a little after 1am.
I’ve been running half marathons for a while now. This is the third time I’ve done this one, and I’ve done the Disney Princess half four times as well. I’m pretty slow (12:45 min/mile average pace last night), but I always find my way to the finish line.
Anyways, I figured I would make an amusing Top Ten list for getting through 13.1 miles geek style. I starred the ones that relate to things I actually do.
Top Ten Geeky Things to do While Running
10. Listen to the original Star Wars trilogy soundtrack*
9. Tell other runners you run near to “Live Long and Prosper”
8. Dress up like a superhero and pretend you are saving the world (this one is pretty common in Disney races, just not me yet!)
7. Pretend you are playing QWOP and try to figure out which muscles are moving
6. Recite as many digit of pi as you can in your head
5. Pretend you are part of the Tri-Wizard Tournament (I don’t do this, but I did see a girl dressed up with a little bib on her back that said “Triwizard Tourney, Lulu”)
4. Run down the storyline for your latest fanfiction*
3. Have a geeky mantra to repeat, i.e. I am a leaf on the wind, Just keep swimming
2. Live tweet
1. Calculate all the fractions of the race you are currently running using both kilometers and miles, including 1/21, 1/13, 1/8, 1/6, 1/5, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 7/8, 12/13, and 20/21+*
Okay, there’s my geek list of running ideas. I really do spend a lot of time trying to calculate things like what fraction of the race I’ve finished. Maybe next year, I’ll finally do the superhero costume!
Any runners out there? What’s the geekiest thing you do?