I want to welcome you to another Geek Exchange with the Guys over at BabbleOn 5. This week, we discussed our favorite movie heroes and heroines. Today, we had the gentlemen give us their opinions on the ladies of the cinema, and we were quite impressed with their choices, most of them even pass the Bechdel Test. Let’s let them explain their choices:
So the gals at Girls Are Geeks asked us to come up with our Top 5 Movie Heroines of all time and of course, we were happy to oblige. So after much debating and arguing that at one point even led to a Klingon blood feud, we finally decided on these five. So we proudly present to you the Babbleon5 Top 5 Movie Heroines of all time. In no particular order, except for number one.
5. The Bride from Kill Bill – This nameless character is easily recognizable as Uma Thurman in Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2. She kicked ass, took names and kept body parts. All in the name of revenge and maternal instinct. We couldn’t think of ANY other heroines who could wield a blade like she did or look as hot in the process.
4. Ripley from the Alien movies – Ripley’s, believe it or not, one of our favorite and most original heroines. She’s smart, tough, knows how to use a gun and has great survival instincts. She fought against both hordes of aliens and corporate greed. Who can argue against that?
3. Trinity from The Matrix – While she isn’t the “one” she definitely makes our list of top heroines. Chic black leather, hip shades, and an impossibly cool demeanor. Plus, anyone who can act with Keenu Reeves deserves some credit.
2. Sarah Conner from the Terminator series – Maternal instinct in overdrive. She is smart, thinks fast, and knows how to disassemble and clean a shot gun.. She accepts the truth no matter how horrific it may be and is determined to do everything she can to ensure her son, and humanity, survives.
And that leads us to our number one over all greatest heroine of all time …
Bella from Twilight.
Okay, seriously, we’re kidding. How about …
1. Princess Leia – Rebel leader, freedom fighter, and princess, she was smart, tough, witty, and sexy. She endured torture, shot Stormtroopers, rode speeder bikes, and watched her home planet be destroyed, yet still she fought on. From her iconic hair braids in Star Wars to her sizzling slave girl outfit in Return of the Jedi, no one has been copied, imitated, or emulated as much as her. We all had crushes on her as kids and she is one of the few female action figures that graced our toy boxes. And so it is, we sing her praise, “Leia, you got us on our knees. Leia, we beg ya darlin’ please, Leia, darlin’ won‘t you ease our worries now.” She even made the phrase, “may the force be with you,” sound cool. She is, without a doubt, our top movie heroine of all time.
So there you go gang, our top five list, complete for your amusement and disagreement. Let us know what you think!